Uncle Alan and Auntie Kelly,
This one is for you. One Skillet, Corny Kale: so easy! Wish I had more pics, these are from my iPhone, but this is such a simple dish that requires very little time and is packed with enough protein to be the main course (it is often the only course for us), but also makes a great side dish. Sounds like a lot of ingredients, but it is really simple and quick.
- Frozen Organic Corn: use organic when possible or it is probably just GMO. (just dump it outta the bag)
- Bunch of Farmer’s Market Kale (chop it or for the quickest way out use T.J’s)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms (feel free to substitute any other kinds of mushroom)
- 1 small bunch of asparagus (the 4 above ingredients only take minutes to chop)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic: Emperor’s Garlic rocks (tastes like you just peeled it yourself). I like it way better than Christopher Ranch if you are using pre-chopped garlic (seems clumpy and not as fresh). I’m sure there are other brands out there but out of the few I’ve tried, Emperor’s is the one I like best, you can buy at Whole Foods for a few dollars and it goes a long way.
- Coconut oil, my favorite for this recipe (you can use olive oil, or any other oil, or butter if you must… I don’t find it necessary). Trader Joe’s has a great low priced organic one.
- 1 can (or carton, my preference) of Cannellini beans (these rock and are BPA free and ready to eat)
- 1/2 cup of peanuts or other favorite nuts for added protein
These next few items are great to put in and add what you have, but they aren’t necessities. I love these few spices because you can put them in many things to add interest and once bought they last a long time. I add them into so many recipes for a little extra flare and a lot of added flavor. They all work together beautifully on the whole, but you can always just add one or two as well. Don’t stress if they aren’t all already in your cabinet, but if they are… add them to taste, don’t follow the recipe as I didn’t measure them out exactly.
- 1.5 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat 2 tablespoon of Coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat (about 4 on the dial)
- Add garlic (cook for about 1 minute or until lightly browned)
- Add mushrooms (and onion if you want it) and 1/2 cup of peanuts or other favorite nuts
- Add frozen corn (1/2 to 3/4 package) and cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and paprika; grill for 5 more minutes
- Add red and green pepper, asparagus, and kale; cook for another 4 minutes or so
- Add can or carton of Cannellini beans; heat for 1 or two minutes
That’s about it, Enjoy. You have a meal that is vegan, healthy, quick, easy, and tasty. Add Parmesan cheese (or your fav cheese) if you want to be a little naughty…